Sunday, September 02, 2012

Broken ankles and crafts

Not surprisingly, when one has to keep one’s ankle elevated over ones heart (or at least waist) crafts can be somewhat difficult. I, fortunately, am a hand piecer and appliquer of quilts so I can actually do some of these things with my ankle sticking up in the air. Last weekend I sat in the wheelchair for about an hour and directed the saint in the cutting of background pieces for a new appliqué block and I then sewed the pieces up pretty quickly. The whole endeavor took maybe an hour so THE FOOT wasn’t too irritable.

Yesterday a friend of mind asked if she could come over and we’d do some paper bag books and I jumped at the chance to have company. Paper bag books are a sort of scrapbooking effort in that one generally uses scrapbook papers, stickers etc ., but using paper bags instead of a flat album. Having her come over was truly a godsend. I needed to converse with another human being who was not a medical professional! We had a very good time and the Saint got to take a break from care giving. We worked for about six hours though and much of that time I had my leg down as one really cannot accurately cut paper in leg up position. This may have turned out to be a bit of a mistake as THE FOOT was really quite disgruntled and achy last night, not to mention horribly swollen. All in all though I think it was totally worth it to feel productive and almost normal! We are on strict leg up today though. So how was your Labor Day weekend?

No comments: