Thursday, August 30, 2012

The post-op visit

It has now been exactly three weeks since my surgery and the Saint and I were scheduled to go in for a post-op visit today at either 9 a.m. or 11 a.m. depending on what person/machine etc. one spoke with. Now normally I’m a nervous Nellie but today it was the Saint who was nervous so he pushes me out the door at 6 freakin ‘45 a.m. Away we go and arrive at the doctor’s office at 7:30 – no big surprise there so we wait in the car until 8 and then out we go. We had been warned by the nice physician assistant that the clinic would be busy that day so we should be prepared and bring snacks. The Saint assumes Sherpa mode and packs out enough water, snacks, books, appliqué, electronic gadgetry etc. for a long afternoon hike. And yes – before you ask – I always take a book even while hiking. As for the Saint, heaven forbid he be without a computer device.

We ”walk” up to reception and start the check in process. “So you have Blue Shield@” ? I’m asked. “No, this is a worker’s comp insurance claim” (i.e. Yes I’m the pariah and no you won’t get as much from workers comp as you would from Blue Shield@ but please see me anyway). “We don’t show that in the system.” I begin to have just a bit of a nervous breakdown when another receptionist walks up and calmly says “oh just change the insurance and ask J to make sure it is recorded properly”. Breakdown averted.

I’m wheeled off to get X-rays. “We are going to remove your cast first” they tell me. Excuse me, you are going to take away my protection, my ankle support?! The cast comes off and man does it feel weird. My foot is feeling totally neekid and a little wobbly. So there I am kind of holding my foot up via the knee and the cast guy keeps saying “go ahead and relax your foot”. Ah no, I don’t think so. I’m eventually whisked off to X-ray where I’m asked to contort poor unprotected ankle and my left hip to get a good set of X-rays. Thanks to yoga the hip, at least ,contorts, really well.

I’m then wheeled into a room to await the doctor. He and a medical student come in. He takes a look at the ankle and at the X-rays and then asks if I have any questions. Why yes I do. You’ve left a librarian idle for three weeks with a computer connection and the vast world of the internet at her disposal. So I ask about the likelihood of reinjuring myself – slight – as well as the possibility of a non union. The man is very polite but I’m sure he is wondering where I came up with non union thoughts. He tells me it is very rare and that he has actually never seen a case. I politely refrain from pointing out that blood clots are somewhat unusual in this type of surgery too and that I seem to be having the worst luck lately. I figure if nothing else, the medical student kid can find all about non union. Non union by the way means this “A nonunion occurs when a broken bone does not heal.” He then tells me when to wear the boot – always except for bathing, and to start range of movement exercises. Basically I’m to spell out the alphabet three times a day with my toe. He also informs me to come back in three weeks and that we may start some weight bearing at that time and that it would be a further six weeks in the boot even after partial weight bearing commence. I am not particularly surprised to hear this, internet savvy explorer that I am. He and medical student depart.

After his departure I spell out the alphabet and then a very nice young lady comes in and tells me that she will be removing my sutures. She tells me this may hurt. The fabulous news is that after having my foot reduced twice, various IVs shoved into hands and arms, and shots in the stomach that hurt is a relative term. It was mildly annoying, much like pulling a scab when one was little, but does it hurt? No. She departs and boot guy comes in. He shows me how to wear the boot and then we are done. The whole visit was extremely quick. Basically from 8:30 to 10 a.m. Alas, Mark has assumed Sherpa mode for nothing.

Sadly, THE FOOT now known as Hermann, is a little uncomfortable now. The cast had gotten to be pretty loose so I could basically position my foot in the cast to be as comfortable as possible. The boot is lighter weight but is now holding Hermann in a more rigid and correct manner. My friend Nancy is alarmed that I have now basically identified my foot as male. I look at it this way – shy wallflower that I am I think of my relationship with THE FOOT the same way I used to interact with young gentlemen. The interactions were generally somewhat uncomfortable and awkward and so too is the relationship with my ankle. Also, since the boot also very much resembles Hermann Munster’s shoe I figure hey why not call it Hermann.

I’m now at home trying to nap but poor Tilly and Hermann have other plans, oh well….,

No comments: